Almost Vegan Scrap Apple Cinnamon Muffins for the HMO Residents
August 25, 2021
I have the HMO Family Practice Residents this morning. I helped start this rotation with my old mentor almost a decade ago. Now I just give one lecture on Pediatric Obesity and mentor one morning. I used to think it was a burden, but now I really enjoy my one day. I make muffins for the three residents and I take them on a field trip to visit a former resident who works upstairs. He is a friend. I have a bag of our family’s garden produce with tomatoes, eggplants and peppers to give him. Today I did vary it up a bit. I usually make the HMO residents banana walnut muffins but this morning I was up at 430am and wanted to use up the semi-mushy apples. So I made almost vegan apple cinnamon muffins. I also cooked down most of the apples for my own kids for breakfast/lunch. My teen daughter is needing more fiber, if you know what I mean.
The muffins turned out really really really good, if I don’t say so myself. So I will feed the residents, myslef, my children and a few other people for almost nothing – since those apples were mushy anyway. Mushy fruit makes the best base of a muffin recipe. I only put in half the sugar and used whole wheat patry flour, so the muffins are chock full of fiber and just enough sweetness. Just like my life at the HMO.
From LOVING IT VEGAN https://lovingitvegan.com/vegan-apple-muffins/
- ▢2 cups All Purpose Flour (250g)
- ▢1 cup Light Brown Sugar (200g)
- ▢1 tsp Baking Soda
- ▢½ tsp Salt
- ▢1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ▢¼ tsp Nutmeg
- ▢⅔ cup Vegan Buttermilk (160ml) 1 Tbsp lemon juice and then add soy milk up to the ⅔rd cup (160ml) line –> (I used 2% milk since I didn’t have any soy milk on hand, I usually do)
- ▢¼ cup Canola Oil (60ml) or Vegetable Oil
- ▢1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ▢1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- ▢2 Tbsp Applesauce
- ▢1 cup Chopped Apple (125g) Peeled
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a muffin tray very well with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Prepare the vegan buttermilk by adding 1 Tbsp lemon juice to a measuring jug and then adding soy milk in up to the ⅔ cup line (160ml). Let it curdle.
- Add in the vegan buttermilk, oil, vanilla, vinegar and applesauce and mix into a thick batter.
- Add the chopped apples and mix in.
- Divide the batter between the muffin partitions.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the muffin tray and place onto a wire cooling rack to cool.
- Keep them covered at room temperature and enjoy within a few days.
Click here for the original recipe and to give the author credit https://lovingitvegan.com/vegan-apple-muffins/